… well, maybe hardcore is a bit harsh.Â But I am now in possession of a drum carder, which, in my mind, means I am most definitively into spinning seriously.Â In less than a year, I have amassed quite a few spinning ‘toys’.Â Boggles my mind, really, what can happen in such a short time.Â But, it is fun.Â :)Â Even if I have a lot to learn (and quite a few unfinished spinning projects on the go, already, which are deserving of attention), I really find it has enriched my whole perception of wool and the creative junkie side of me is quite tickled with the whole process.
This brings to mind a few other things which have materialized over the course of 2008, on a personal basis and in our household.Â 2008 turned out be a year of revelations for us along with a few new beginnings in the mix.
- I have now managed to stay on the planet for more than 4 decades (high five!)
- I have two feet less hair
- I became, officially, the parent of a special needs child (officially).Â Up until the middle of 2008 it was still debatable but it’s pretty much apparent now.Â Although it has been challenging at times (and probably will continue to be) it’s been interesting watching Sam’s perception and interpretation of the world at large develop.Â It’s also opened my eyes as I try to see things through his eyes… never dull, at any rate.Â We will probably have a diagnosis by the end of this year
- I am also the parent of a teenager (eek, I don’t really feel old enough for this!)
- I am a (beginning) spinner.Â :)Â Hard to believe it has been less than a year since I first held a spindle.Â And now, well, you read the first paragraphÂ ;)
- I am learning to play guitar.Â This is not a total surprise to me (I’ve always wanted to learn) but it’s refreshing to be learning a new musical instrument without the pressures of professional performance hanging over
- we now have Baxter living with us (something I really hadn’t envisioned last January).Â He’s fitting in just fine with the other boys around the house.
So, we’ll see what 2009 brings (hint:Â I am reallly niggling around for a CSM (sock knitting machine) these days… I might be nutz).
2008 also brought a few more FOs than previously mentioned:
Le’Slouch in B&L Heritage, Grape colourway.Â It’s become my go everywhere hat which is good because I don’t have many hats at all.
Toasty, in Oceanwind Knits merino iii (truffle).Â These were a quick and dirty knit.Â They allow me to knit at the rink (if I’m not too busy yelling at Bantam boys lol).
And how about this – ‘merino spaghetti’?
It turned into this:
singlespun from hand-dyed merino roving 1:6.Â I hope it knits nicely.Â It looked like a perfect match for my friend Carol, so now it’s in her hot little hands.Â (Have you seen what she can churn out in a year?Â I am always astounded).
Anyhoo, wishing everyone a Happy 2009 (late, I know; I started out the year with near-pneumonia, but I hope it’s been kicked now.)!Â Next time I’ll tell you about another FO (the Solstice Shawl) once it becomes available (soon!).